Forget spending hundreds on chemical products, here are seven face masks and cleansers that can be made with ingredients from your family kitchen! Try them and send us your reviews!
- The famous turmeric mask: If you want that summer glow in the winter then this is your best friend! The age old recipe includes half a teaspoon turmeric, a teaspoon of honey, a teaspoon of gram flour and a few drops of milk to get to your desired consistency! Use a brush ideally to cover your face and neck, wash off after it dries. The turmeric may cause some yellow staining, but this can easily be removed with a wet wipe or make-up remover!
- Gram flour: or besan as we call it is great for two things: making pakoras and fighting acne! Who would have thought. The trick is to mix one full teaspoon of gram flour with two teaspoons of yoghurt to make the paste – slather it on and wait until it dries. Wash of gentle, the besan also helps as an exfoliator to get rid of trapped dirt.
- Sugar and water: Honestly, who would have thought – it’s just so simple! Okay fine, it’s not really a face mask BUT it makes a great homemade scrub. With one teaspoon sugar and one teaspoon water you can get that glow without spending hundreds on products! The texture acts as an exfoliator which you can rub all over your face and neck and then wash off gently. It helps to unclog all the dirt and dead skin cells making your skin squeaky clean!
- Banana, honey and lemon juice: Yum. Although this sounds like the ingredients to a summery smoothie, just trust me when I say this will set you on your way to healthy skin. Mush up one banana, one teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice and you’re good to go! Wash off after 20 minutes and walk into summer with that fresh skin.
- Egg white and lemon juice (or without lemon juice): When your skin just isn’t what it used to be, it look unhealthy, dry, broken – all you need is a protein fix. Egg whites act as a repair mask, the popular Asian remedy for radiant skin requires you to separate the egg white from the yellow, add a teaspoon of lemon juice to get rid of the strong eggy odour, whisk with a fork until it becomes frothy, and then apply onto your face with your hands or any brush like tool! Once it has dried, gently scrub it off.
- Egg yolk and honey: That yellow egg yolk need not go to waste! Whisk the yolk with a teaspoon of honey, apply it on your face (I mean I wouldn’t use fingers but that’s just me) with a brush or, okay, fine, use your fingers. This mask is great for glowing skin and rejuvenating your skin with that protein!
- Coconut oil: This one isn’t just for the hair! Coconut oil can be used as a facial cleanser and smells a-maze-ing. Grab a teaspoon of the oil, it is normally solid at room temperature so melt some with your hands and rub all over your face, and wash off as you would a normal cleanser!